symbols pattern theory future
People who have a preference for intuition are immersed in their impressions
of the meanings or patterns in their experiences. They would rather gain understanding
through insight than through hands-on experience.
Intuitive types tend to be concerned with what is possible and new, and they have
an orientation to the future. They are often interested in the abstract and in
theory, and may enjoy activities where they can use symbols or be creative. Their
memory of things is often an impression of what they thought was the essence of
an event, rather than a memory of the literal words or experiences associated
with the event. They often like concepts in and of themselves, even ones that
do not have an immediate application, and they learn best when they have an impression
of the overall idea first.
People who prefer intuition may:
- recall events by what they read "between the lines" at the time
- solve problems through quick insight and through making leaps
- be interested in doing things that are new and different
- work from the big picture to the facts
- place great trust in insights, symbols, and metaphors and less in what is literally experienced
- sometimes focus so much on new possibilities that they miss the practicalities of bringing them into reality
Audio Clip: Intuition Preference
FREE Macintosh Version Quicktime Player.
Windows 95, 98 and NT Version Quicktime Player.